Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week 49 of the 52s...Real Deal


Monday, in the midst of all my running around, I drove to my favorite coffee kiosk and ordered my usual.  They weren't busy, so while I waited for Heidi to make the drink, Nicole began to chat with me about Christmas, buying presents, yada yada.  Nicole mentions that she loves Pier 1 but it's way too expensive, and good thing Real Deal is around cuz they're at least 50% cheaper.

My mind whirls as she runs through a litany of things she's bought at this mystery place.  When I can get a word in, I ask her if it's anywhere within an hour radius of where we are currently talking.  She laughs and says it's just right out in the valley, all the locals know about it.  Is she talking about the valley below my house?  The same valley I have criss-crossed numerous times in the past two+ years?

By now my coffee is ready.  I pay, wait for change, and ask how I find this Real Deal.  Between the two of them, pointing, gesturing, contradicting each other, I discover that I just might know "the big green shed-looking building" they're talking about.  I thought the only thing in that building was the taxidermist, though, come to think of it, the taxidermist would have to be stuffing a tribe of Sasquatch to need that much space.

I'm all excited now.  I have insider info and can't wait to check out this warehouse of goodies.  Then Heidi casually mentions, as she hands me my change, that the place is only open on Sunday afternoons and all day Thursdays.  That's it.  A day-and-a-half per week. 

Impatiently, I wait, until finally it's Thursday.  I had several errands to run in the morning, but managed to get to Real Deal this afternoon.  And seriously, can you even imagine, dear readers, that there could be anything worth looking at inside this building?


Now, I have to say, I was just a tad disappointed that most of the shop has been turned over to Christmas gewgaws and ornaments, Santas and holiday décor.  I will have to go back in the new year because I could see some really intriguing and cool stuff buried under the layers of Christmas.

First thing in the door.  This was just one of many, many shelves, tables, sideboards, cupboards, nooks and crannies that were covered in holiday cheer...


It was a very festive atmosphere, with cinnamon and apples scenting the air, Christmas carols playing and a huge crowd of people--no doubt because of that pesky "only open a day-and-a-half per week" issue.  Unfortunately, due to the sheer volume of moving, shuffling, 'scuse me, pardon me bodies, I wasn't able to take many photos. 

Even the walls were covered, with some great signage and lovely artwork.  There was a large oil painting that just totally captivated me, called "Lost in a Dream" of a boat drifting down a placid river, foggy tendrils trailing behind, both sides of the river lush with greenery and large shade trees.  I tried to get a decent shot, but they had a spotlight that screwed with my camera.

I liked this...


Way in the back, far from the Christmas stuff and the people, I found the "junk drawer" room.  Lots of weird things, everything on sale.  On the floor in a corner a large grouping of palm leaves caught my eye.  They were made of hammered tin and honestly, I loved how they looked, though for the life of me couldn't figure out what to do with them.


So, in the end I bought myself a little Christmas tree.  I've decided since I don't have a regular tree, I'm going to buy little ones.  Last year--my first tree--I bought one with spangles, this year it's a pine, wrapped in burlap like a living tree would be.  Maybe some day I'll have enough different little trees to make my own unique forest...that would be cool, wouldn't it?

But for now, the two I have will do just fine...



It was fun to discover a new place for the 52s today.  An Aladdin's Cave of treasures were in that innocuous green building.  I can't wait to go back...

2 comments:

  1. Love that winds of change quote....looks like you found some great deals. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the signage too. As for Christmas decor, I've got two small trees and a little snowman in a bird's nest...works for me. ;D

      Delete