Monday, February 16, 2015

Love Long Weekends

And I would have loved this latest holiday Monday even more if the dogs understood the concept and let me sleep past 6:00 am.  Ah well, just gives me more time to enjoy the day...right?  Uh huh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weather on Saturday hit 78*.  I wore a tank top and hippie skirt and fought the surreality of such heat on Valentine's Day.  (Spell check just informed me that surreality isn't a word.  I like it, so now it's a word in my personal dictionary, along with flateau and obstacle illusion).

Because it was so warm, and the dogs were getting lost in the elephant grass in the backyard, I ended up mowing the lawn.  I love the smell of fresh-cut grass, though six weeks into the new year, it has a wet, slightly boggy back note.  And I couldn't get the blades of grass off my boots, no matter how I stomped and kicked.  Still, at least I can find the dogs now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of dogs.  Ozzy had two more mysterious spells this week.  Scared me really bad when he just flopped unconscious again, Friday night just before bed and Sunday morning walking on the road. I'm taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, though I'm not expecting a miracle.  I know a slippery slope when I see it and his heart is going to give out at some point, no matter what I do, or how I want to make it all better.  Dread has settled in my bones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is four years not smoking!  I knew, the minute I made the decision, that I could do it and now here I am, four years later.  I miss it.  Not the smell or the ruination of my lungs, but the muse aspect. In the past when I'd get stuck on a plot kink, outside I would go, light up and pace. Every single time, I could work through the hangup.  Since I've quit, I've tried going outside to pace, but it doesn't work. Now I just grab fistfuls of my hair and wander through the house muttering. Sometimes this jogs my brain, mostly it doesn't. Life is all about the trade-off, isn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just after noon now, time for lunch and a nice, laid-back afternoon to read my new book. I have several things pending, housework and chores, errands and whatevers, but not today, peeps, not today.

I love long weekends...

4 comments:

  1. We have a long weekend here in Canada as well. It's pretty sweet. But our temps - polar opposite to yours. I stress polar. It's flippin' freezing. -33C I don't know what that equates to in F but think super cold and then 20 degrees below that. Good job on not smoking, girl. That's something to be proud of indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys in the East just keep getting hammered. I was watching the buckets of snow fall in New England/Canada whilst sweating in unprecedented heat in the Pac NW...

      Delete
  2. It was 78 degrees in Texas on Saturday as well. My daffodils were blooming. This morning was 34 degrees (F) and I am in layers with a scarf-it is just not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not right...and again, today it's sweltering here, when it should be cold and frosty.

      Delete