Thursday, January 16, 2014

Apocalypse and Angels

I don't know where the week has gone.  Wasn't it Monday just a few minutes ago?  I remember posting on Monday...so what happened between then and now?  Earlier today I had to dash into the store for a minute.  A song by the Eagles Steve Miller came on the store's music system, floating into my head.  I was singing the words under my breath when I realized exactly what I was singing:  Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future...

And then there's this: I can't remember half of what I did this week, and yet I can sing the lyrics to a veritable football stadium filled with songs and never miss a word.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I took another quiz from Lynn's site today, this one about how long I would survive in an apocalypse. I love these goofy tests, though maybe in light of my recent "Lost Days", I should be concentrating on memory quizzes instead. Whatever.

According to the quiz, in the event of a global meltdown, I will be Mad Max and live 20 years longer than the rest of you, dear readers. I'm not sure that's a good thing, and most sincerely hope I never have to find out, but okay, I like the Mad Max comparison...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My neighbor called me last night to tell me she had adopted a tiny little puppy.  On that long drive last Thursday to and from her medical appointment, we had talked in depth about dogs. She's always been a cat person, yet she wanted a little dog, and since I'm a lifelong dog owner/lover, she used me like an encyclopedia.

Now, out of the blue yesterday, an old colleague--who now volunteers at the local animal sanctuary--calls her to catch up on news, and in the course of their chat, this woman tells her a sad, sorry tale of a wee dog that had been abandoned and left for dead the week prior.  The friend emails her a photo, my neighbor recognizes the moment for what it is (the Universe providing), jumps in her car and drives to the sanctuary.

Angel...all two pounds and 14 weeks of her...

















I went over this afternoon to meet her.  She's totally adorable, and perfectly named. My neighbor is as nervous and excited as a new mother.  After all the medical issues she's had this past twelve months with her breast cancer, it was amazing to see the hope and joy on her face, in her smiles.

I think the Universe did a great job...

4 comments:

  1. Um, that song is by Steve Miller, actually. Depressing little tune.

    My little brother has an affection for Mad Max, and certainly drivers like him. He's says if he and my sister outlaw ever split up he's going to disappear into the wastes with a hotrod and a shotgun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly Like an Eagle vs the Eagles. Hey, didn't I say my mind was missing this week???

      Little brothers...what can you do? Mine's already living in the wastes...

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I got Mad Max too...only taller. The quiz even said so. Word for word. Seriously.

      You believe me, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

      Delete
  2. Yeah, you would be taller, what with the Mohawk... ;D

    ReplyDelete