Sunday, June 2, 2013

Week 22 of the 52s...Lemony Goodness

Last weekend I saw a poster for a event downtown that started on Thursday night, a fun thing that I expected to do for the 52s this week, but by the time Thursday rolled around Max was in surgery, it had turned into an entirely different day altogether, and there was no way I could/would leave my wee toeless boy home alone.

Now, I know I said after the naan bread fiasco that I wasn't going to cook anymore for my weekly adventures, but I honestly couldn't come up with another option, so...




I find recipes in magazines or on cooking shows, and either tear them out of the mag or print them off a website, then stash them for a rainy day.






 



Yesterday afternoon I went through this big stack of recipes I've tucked between my cookbooks, looking for something interesting that didn't require a trip to the store. 








There are two sweets in all the world that I love most: carrot cake, and anything with lemons--lemon meringue pie, lemon tarts, lemon cake, lemon bars.  When I was a kid, my mother would let us (me and the three sibs) pick what kind of birthday cake we wanted her to make.  Forget cake.  I always, always chose Mom's lemon meringue pie, though she used to complain the birthday candles pulled big divots out of the meringue.

In my stack of miscellaneous recipes, I found a new lemon bar recipe.  It was a little fussy, required parchment paper (which usually leads to disaster in my world), but I had all the ingredients and because I so totally love a good lemon bar, I decided to try it.

It was indeed a very fussy recipe with a few steps that I would eliminate in the future, in particular that blasted parchment paper which caused more trouble than it was worth and truly served no real purpose except to make a cook feel adept and French.  I didn't.  I felt aggravated and annoyed when I kept having to wrestle with the damned stuff.

However, after all was said and done--fussiness aside--the bars were most excellent.  The bottom crust was flaky and firm, the lemon filling tasted exactly like the best lemon pie: tart, slightly gooey, and very binge-worthy.


Oh man, just writing about it is making my mouth water.  Definitely time for a nice cup of chai tea and a lovely lemon bar...a perfect treat for a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment