Thursday, January 19, 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes

Or, in this case, about 36 hours.  The rains have finally started to slow down, but it's been nonstop torrential since Tuesday night.  I am not complaining.  Not only does the region desperately need the water, but I needed the rain.  For a fire sign I have a great affinity for water.  Go figure.

This morning I tried to take the dogs to the park again, but it was truly a downpour, so I ran some errands, did some grocery shopping, and by the time I was done the rain had mellowed to a heavy dense mist.  And the dogs were ready to get out of the car.  A workable version of reverse doggy psychology.

Our walk took us down along the river.  The contrast between this morning and two days ago was stunning.  And hey!!  I actually had my camera...


Tuesday vs Thursday




There were huge trees racing down the river, though nothing that came out clearly in a photo.  I should have taken a video.  The amount of roaring water was pretty impressive, especially compared to just a few days earlier.  No more brown hummocks, that's for sure; they've probably been swept to the coast by now.


Tranquil, meandering, calm...


...to turbulent, raging, wild 


I'm truly pleased we've had such a storm, though it might be better if the rain stopped for a bit to allow the water to soak into the ground, and for the river to settle down before overflowing its banks. 

On Tuesday I was standing on the other side of that big tree taking a shot up river.  Amazing what a difference a day makes...


No comments:

Post a Comment