Friday, June 29, 2012

Bumpers and Bali

I've had a busy day; too much running around, and too many chores once I got home.  It didn't help that I had to slog through thick, saturating, brain-baking humidity everywhere I went.  Honestly, it's just not right for the human body to sweat like this.

At one stop, I did something I never do.  I bought a bumper sticker.  I know, right?  I'm not a bumper sticker person, though I do like to read them when I'm stuck in traffic.  This one just caught my attention and wouldn't let go.  Even so, after I got home I still didn't think I'd actually put it on my car, but by afternoon, I gave in.  

I think this is truly clever.  Can you read what it says?  Because it does say something...




*****************************************************************************************



I called my Mom this afternoon, needing a break from the chores.  We're just chatting, nothing important, and she tells me this little story...

[Digression:  My mom does this Foster Grandparent thing with the school district in the town where she lives.  She's like a teacher's aide during the school year, doing 1st and 2nd grades.  Now that school is out, the people who run the program have gathered all the aides together for thank yous, and a big bash to celebrate the end of school for another year.]

So.  Mom is sitting next to this man, another aide she knows from her school.  He tells my mother that he's thinking of moving to Bali.  Mom is rather surprised by this startling newsflash.  He tells her that a person can live in a beautiful home with servants (housekeeper, cook, gardener) for far less than living in America, plus it's a perfect paradise.  Mom says it's a very long way to travel without knowing what's at the other end, and what does his wife think of this idea?

His wife thinks he's nuts.  Mom laughs, then tells him her sister lived in Guam and would go to Bali for her vacations.  Yes, it is very beautiful, but takes forever and a day to get there from the States.  When Mom went to visit her sister, she went from Seattle to Hawaii, then from Hawaii to Korea, from there to Guam.  Well, rather than be discouraged by this, he gets all excited and says that's exactly what he and his wife should do!  They can take it in stages, stop at each place, relax, explore, rest, then head out on the next leg until they finally get to Bali.

Mom tells me she's a bit worried he might actually do it.  I say, more power to him, but she says, "It will take more than power, I'm afraid." 

"He doesn't have the money?" I ask. 

"No, that's not it," she says, "he's 94, his wife is 91."

I burst out laughing.  "Seriously?"

"I tried not to encourage him. I mean, can you imagine?  94 and he wants to move to Bali?"

After a minute, I said, "You know, even if he croaks on the journey, does it matter?  Think about it, Mom:  94 and he still has a dream."

We should all be so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment