Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Week of Busy...

Tomorrow will be the first time this week I won't be running hither and yon with tasks, chores and appointments.  It's funny how nothing happens for awhile, then suddenly twenty things happen at once.  Feast or famine, for sure.  All I really want at this point is to stay on the mountain, pour myself a nice, big glass of wine, settle into my cozy chair and read a book. 

Come on, Friday.  (Though I'm not actually going to wait until tomorrow for wine...) 

Here's a good thing: Max is finally good to go.  He had the gnarly chest sutures taken out this morning and got the perfect health cookie from the vet.  I wasn't sure two weeks ago that I would actually get this far--what with the restitching and the Conehead the Barbarian thing--but hey, time has a way of passing, no matter what our obstacles.  And since Max has now collapsed in his bed and is contentedly snoring, I'm pretty sure he's one happy wee dog to be done with the vet, the cone and the itchy bits.

Tuesday afternoon, fairly gloomy and dreary, when a bright lance of sunshine appeared out of nowhere across the valley at the back of the house.  In the barrenness of Winter, I could suddenly see the gentle haze of new green in the fields below.  The rest of the valley was still bleak, but with that one ray of light, this small section gleamed with the promise of Spring...


Then yesterday, hiking back from the mail box, I noticed my daffodils are sprouting!  I'm so excited!  I planted that huge bag--over 100 bulbs--last Fall, but planting in bedrock, I wasn't convinced they would grow, even with my pick-axing and composting.  However, thanks to the miracle of Nature, and the indomitable will of plants to grow in the crappiest of environments:

Along the driveway.  Look, you can just see them poking up next to the wall...


Okay, here, let me just show you a close-up instead...


And further up the drive, more little shoots...


I can't wait to see the tall green stalks, the golden yellow heads, the cheerful sign of hope that another Winter is past, and Life prevails...

And yeah, I'm going to bore you senseless, dear readers, with many photos of my hardy, against the odds, growing in stone daffodils when they've bloomed.  Though I know you won't mind, because truly, who can resist such simple beauty...

No comments:

Post a Comment