Friday, January 25, 2013

And Speaking of Whiskey...


I want to wish my family and friends a wonderful Burns Supper tonight.  I wrote about this annual celebration last year, so won't go into it again, though I am posting a photo of Robert Burns, Scottish national poet...and in my opinion: 18th century hunk.  Today is his 254th birthday and all over Scotland there will be Suppers and poems and haggis and pipers...and of course, whisky (spelled just so, in Scotland).

Swoon-worthy Rabbie Burns...


So, later this evening I will raise a dram to The Bard, with my most favorite whisky of all time--and believe me, I've tried just about every variety--but to me, for my palette:  Dalwhinnie, distilled in the Highlands, tasting of clear, cold waters, smoky peat and...Scotland.

Dalwhinnie Distillery, off the A9, heading north to Inverness...


Here's my bottle, bought at the distillery above, missing just a few wee drams; one for Burns last year, and once for New Year, last month.  (And yes, I'm hoarding it...and will until the next time I'm in Scotland to buy a new bottle).

The little label around the neck says The Gentle Spirit.  How cool is that for a whisky?  I'm so looking forward to my drink tonight.  The smell alone brings back so many memories, and adventures, but the taste?  Ambrosia...

.
Closer view of the label...


Happy Birthday, Rabbie.  I'll be there in spirit to celebrate, with the essence of Scotland in my glass...

No comments:

Post a Comment