Monday, October 8, 2012

Anywhere It Wants To...

Back from walking the dogs this morning, I noticed the bird bath--which I had just filled last night--was nearly out of water. I know there isn't a leak, so was pondering the situation as I dragged the hose up the embankment and refilled the bath.  It's another sunny day, giving the water a sky-blue reflection, fresh and clean.

After winding up the hose, I dinked in the garden for a few minutes, picking some tomatoes, deciding where to plant the daffodil bulbs.  I happened to glance up the slope, and see this gathering of tiny birds perched around the bath rim, chattering away for all the world like office workers reviewing the weekend at the water cooler.

I dash in the house for the camera, then sneak out the back door to the deck that overlooks the bath, hoping the wee birds are still gossiping. They were, but just as I brought the camera to my eye, this large shape came out of nowhere, diving at the crowd.  With all kinds of chirps and shrieks, the little birds scattered, and this big ol' bully boy landed right in the middle of the water like he owned it--(reminding me of that joke about the 800-lb gorilla)...
 

He didn't hesitate a second, immediately sticking his face right in the water, shaking it like a maniac...


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I had to struggle not to laugh out loud at how he looked once the head dunking was over...
 

Then he really got into it, and with wings flailing and flapping, his tail slapping the water, he took a bath that was truly impressive...
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When all the flurry had died down, and I got a good look at him, I did start to laugh.  It was just too funny, with water dripping off his beak, splashed all over the landing, his feathers all wild and disheveled.  And I swear, I could see a look of satisfaction in his eyes...
 
 
I guess it doesn't matter who or what you are, there's just nothing like a good bath, even if you are an 800-lb gorilla...


[In case anyone is wondering:  This big boy is a Western Scrub-Jay]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment