Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Not So Wistful Now...

I had a bunch of errands to run today and was all over town getting stuff done, from hair cuts to grocery shopping, filling the car with liquid gold...er, I mean gas, to stopping at the pet store to buy a birthday present for my sister's Jack Russell, Cooper.

The pet store is right by Pier 1, so naturally I was compelled to stop in because I can't be that close without wanting to see their cool new stuff.  And wow, was I amazed when I walked in the front door and found myself knee-deep in Christmas.  My mind is barely ready to acknowledge Halloween, let alone Christmas.  And isn't Thanksgiving in there somewhere between the two?

I wandered the aisles, admiring this trinket and that decorative trifle, slightly wistful that I won't have a tree again this year.  I wasn't bemoaning...just feeling a bit, well, wistful.

Then I saw this, tucked out of the way on a bottom shelf, somehow still managing to glimmer and sparkle, even in the meager light...


I know it looks like a scrawny wee thing in my photos, but in real life it's about 24 inches tall, 16 inches wide, and has a very lacy appearance, with gold disk ornaments that twinkle and move in the barest hint of air.  I love how fanciful it is.


So, when Christmas gets near, I'll find some fabric for a tree skirt, put the dogs Christmas toys underneath, maybe even fashion a few tiny ornaments from my beads and baubles box.  And just as simple as that, I'll have myself a Merry Christmas tree.

It doesn't really matter what it looks like, or what size it is.  After all, it's the thought that counts...right?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy Pier 1. They've closed some locations in Toronto but when I across one, I always like to take a wander through. Your tree is adorable and will brighten your December for sure....

    ReplyDelete