Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Overheard

Yesterday at the grocery store, frustrated with driving around and around the parking lot--to no avail--I went home cranky and foodless.  So this morning, I'm up early to walk the boys and hit the market before the rebel hordes arrive.  And it worked.  I had no trouble finding a space, the sun was shining, the dogs were content in the back seat of the Blazer.

It was wonderful to traipse through the store, up and down nearly empty aisles.  I breathed a sigh of relief that the end is in sight for 2014's holiday craziness.

I'm standing in line, dinking in my purse for wallet and coupons when behind me I overhear this conversation...

A deep, manly voice says, "Sweetheart, we forgot the ice cream."

Soft-voiced woman responds with a giggle, "Well, we can't celebrate the new year without ice cream."

He chuckles.  "No my love, we can't."

"I'll go," she says.  "Shall we have vanilla & caramel this year, or will it be rocky road?"

"Both," he says without hesitation.  Then they laugh, history mingled in the sound, something private, intimate shared between them.

"Be right back," the woman says as I turn and see her kiss the man, full on the lips.  He whispers, "I love you.  Hurry back."

"I will, baby.  Back before you know it."  And she hustles down the ice cream aisle.  The man watches her go, never takes his eyes off her as we both see her grab two flavors of ice cream.  Walking back toward the checkout line, she smiles at him, he beams back at her, and I have to turn away and blink hard against the tears.

The man leaned heavily on his cane, the woman was hunched over with age. They were in their eighties, if not older and yet their world was filled with love and kindness, memories and secret moments.

Such a beautiful thing to witness, poignant and heartwarming.

I cried all the way home.  I can't help it.  I'm a sucker for love...

4 comments:

  1. You sap. I bet you wear pink by choice and dot your i's with hearts too ;p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally...on the sap part. And NEVER on the pink or dotted hearts. Though thanks for the laugh just thinking about it... ;D

      Delete
  2. Me too. Always have been and always will be...

    ReplyDelete