Saturday, September 15, 2012

Auspicious Morning...

This morning I got up at sunrise so I could hang my Tibetan Prayer Flags.  It was a quiet, cool morning with just the birds, a light breeze, and me.

Yesterday I had put in the hooks so all I had to do today was hang them, look out over the misty dawn landscape, and imagine the breeze wafting blessings out into the world.  It was a peaceful moment that has left me feeling calm and serene ever since.

I hung the ten flags off the back deck, facing the valley to catch the best year-round winds.  I can see them waving from the bedroom windows.  A wonderful addition to the usual views...




 
The Wind Horse, galloping across the world, flames roaring as he subdues evil; he also embodies freedom from fear and vanquishing obstacles.  I love this guy...
 



In each corner are one of the Four Dignities, the most powerful animals that have the qualities needed for enlightenment: awareness, vision, confidence, joy, humility.

The Garuda.  A large, bird-like creature.  I always think of a Phoenix, though that's not exactly right...
















The Dragon...






Tiger...and isn't he a ferocious beauty?














...And the Snow Lion










(For some reason--my fault with the camera--there's a peculiar greenish cast to these photos.  In real life, the color is soft and creamy yellow.) 

These flags are just perfect: the right size, colorfully vivid, and move so gracefully in the breeze.  Just as I imagine a blessing should do... 

Oh, and speaking of blessings.  Here's a discovery I made this morning...

As I've mentioned before, I have a house with an overabundance of windows, leading to the demise of many an unfortunate and innocent bird.  But now, with the constant motion of the flags in even the slightest breath of wind, the birds are steering clear.  I can't tell you how happy I am about this unexpected turn of events.

An instant benefit from my flags that I'll gladly accept...

2 comments:

  1. Those are very cool. I'm used to the traditional ones, but I need to find a set of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are cool. Whenever I happen to glance out back, and see them waving in the breeze, it makes me smile.

      Delete