Thursday, December 20, 2012

What Day Is It...??

Tomorrow, December 21st, the shortest day of the year, the Winter Solstice.  How cool, because now it's straight uphill, each day growing just a tiny bit longer and brighter as we slog through January--endless, bleak January--then February, March, until suddenly we notice those tell-tale signs of Spring, see those little buds poking up through snow, mud, or dirt.

I don't mind hunkering down for a few months, slowing the pace.  With miserable, bad weather, there are valid reasons to stay home, wear cozy warm clothes, read or nap on a blustery Sunday afternoon, snuggle on the couch to watch old movies under a quilt.   Ah, the hidden joys of Winter...

Now, about those strange folk who don't see tomorrow as the Winter Solstice, but instead think the world will end because of a very misunderstood and badly interpreted Mayan tablet.  I don't know what to say.  I've written before on my complete bafflement on this issue, so won't go into it again, because I just don't get it.  I really don't.  But, each to his own, I guess.  And if tomorrow the world implodes?  Well, I'll be the first to say, "oops."

I doubt I'll have to say that however, because here's what I really think:



Happy Winter Solstice everyone...

Heap on more wood--the wind is chill;
But let it whistle as it will,
We'll keep our Christmas merry still.
                                                                                 -- Sir Walter Scott

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I've been telling people about that cartoon. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? ;D

      I've had the cartoon since sometime last year. Just says it all for me.

      Delete