Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Week 43 of the 52s...Halloween Ghost


When out and about a few weeks ago taking random Fall photos, I stopped into Kruse Farms for some shots of their pumpkins and gourds.  Captivated by their ghost pumpkins, I should have bought some that day as there weren't many to choose from, but I had planned to come back in a day or two.  Famous last words and an Ozzy Incident later...

My idea for this week's adventure in the 52s was to carve a pumpkin, so after walking the boys this morning, we drove out into the valley to Kruse's, fingers crossed there were some left.  By a pure fluke and perfect timing, I got the last ghost pumpkin.  Right after I lugged it to the scales, two separate folks came after me asking for more, but lucky me, I got the last one, big and gnarly-cool.  And by big, I mean it weighed in at 29.25 lbs.  I could barely lift it into the back of the Blazer.  Then I had to haul it up two flights of stairs to the kitchen.



 
My scabby and bumply **Jack Skellington--before he came alive...










Two hours, a bin full of pumpkin guts, and a design that kept changing as I carved.  My frightening ghost just wouldn't stop smiling...












A bit scarier, glowing in the dark...










I love these ghost pumpkins.  I've never carved one before and they're different than the regular variety.  Easier to clean out, but harder to carve.  I saved some perfect seeds and can already picture ghosts meandering down my back slope next Summer...then it won't matter that I forgot to buy them before they were all gone.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

**BTW:  Jack Skellington is the Pumpkin King from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas...just in case anyone was, you know, curious about the name.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous jack-o-lantern! I love it. Only 7 more sleeps ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It came out pretty good considering how hard it was to maneuver on the kitchen counter--he is one big boy... ;D

    ReplyDelete