Friday, March 15, 2013

Georgia...

...O'Keeffe, that is.

I've mentioned before that back in one of my Phases of the Moon, I took copious photographs of flowers, even making some money in the process.  Out of all my beauties, I only kept these two for myself.

This is a crap photo of the framed piece, but due to glass reflection I had to lean the picture against the wall on the floor.  Still.  You can see the black heart at the center, surrounded by that deep blood red.  I've always loved the scary in this flower.

My exotically evil and yet somehow manly Red Poppy...


A very old variety of Columbine that goes back to the 1800s, named after Nora Barlow, Darwin's daughter.  I had this plant for years.  Every time I moved, I dug it up and replanted it at the new place.  It was dainty, and hardy, and though again my photograph of the framed picture is crap, it's easy to see what a cool flower this is...



So, why am I blathering on about this stuff?  Well here, let me explain...

It's really warm here today--like in the 70s warm--and more like early Summer than mid-March.  I had a load of errands to run this morning and by the time I got home, I was sweaty and cranky.  Why is it so bloody hot? Doesn't bode well, is all I can say.

After lunch, I took the boys outside with me and as they wandered around, I started to catalog all the yard work that needs to be done, though I keep grousing in my head that it's too early, it's only March, I'm too frigging hot, I'm buying a cabin in Alaska....well, you get the drift.

Then I see the first blooms of Spring.  I grab my camera and have a wonderful few minutes, falling back in time, finding the stunning beauty in a flower...

Blossoms of the Oriental Cherry tree that grows at the edge of my driveway.  Could anything be more feminine?



One daffodil peeking between the rails of the fence leading to the back garden...


And another, growing all by itself, hidden under a large juniper bush at the side of the garage...


I'm totally fascinated by the inner workings of flowers; the enticement, the beckoning lure inside the heart of a blossom.  I find them intensely female...though every now and then, a manly poppy makes an appearance.

It was nice this afternoon to revive my Georgia O'Keeffe photography phase, even if just for these few blooms.  Though one truly good thing about Spring?  This is just the beginning...

***************************************************

N.B.  Here's the very reason why I called this stage of my photography the Georgia O'Keeffe PeriodHer red poppy painting--though this looks very feminine compared to my photo...



4 comments:

  1. These are simply lovely--and watching the freezing rain coat the world outside my window with icy glaze...I'm a tad jealous of your warmth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been so strange--and not just in the Pacific NW. Don't know what this will mean for the dog days of Summer; a rainy climate with no rain...

      Delete
  2. Love Georgia! This brings back memories of art class in highschool and attempting to replicate her work. I did a poor job but I remember enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on a quest back then to duplicate--in my photography--each flower she painted during her New Mexico phase. I learned from her work how to see the heart of a flower...

      Delete