Thursday, November 10, 2011

Time, Birds and Fog

Goodness, where has the week gone..??  I've been busy doing daily chore things like laundry, walking the dogs, groceries; plus making appointments for next week: hair cut, maintenance/winterizing the car, the furnace, lunch with my neighbor, working on NaNo...yada yada. 

Though honestly..??  There was a slight detour where I stopped everything I was doing when my favorite author's latest book came out--which I spotted as I was grocery shopping Tuesday morning.  I tried very hard NOT to touch the book until that evening,  but I made the mistake of saying to myself at lunch: "Oh what can it hurt to just read the first chapter while I'm eating my sandwich...??"  I was right.  It didn't hurt.  At all.  In fact, I got so sucked in and lost in the story it was nearly time for dinner before I raised my head again.  Ah well.  Who cares really..??  I enjoyed an amazingly good book, which I finished yesterday afternoon.

*******************************************************

This morning when I opened the drapes in the bedroom, I was stunned to find a ginormous hawk sitting on the deck railing about five feet from my nose.  I froze while I quickly thought how I could carefully back away from the window, run into the living room and grab my camera, then make it back before the bird flew off.  He stared at me for a second, cocked his head, then spread his massive wings and just lifted off the rail easy as pie, banked over the fence below, and disappeared into the fog...all in about a nanosecond.

Speaking of fog...here's a couple shots of the weather today.  First one is looking up the road in front of the house, the second is across the driveway.



Usually the house is far above the clouds, but today it's dense, visually impairing, epic fog.  It was even worse the further down the mountain I went as I took the dogs to the park.  I had to drive about two miles per hour as you could barely see off the hood of the car.  Two hours later, as I sit here writing, it hasn't thinned one iota.

Along with the fog, the temp was very cold, in the low 30s, so I put the dogs' coats on for the first time.  Ozzy wore his usual fleece-lined bomber jacket that he's had for years, but Max got to wear his brand new quilted fleece jacket.  I wasn't sure how he would react to wearing a coat, but he just carried on like it was just the most normal thing in the world.  He is such a sweet, dear little dog, honestly, I just adore him.  He rolls with everything.  Except cameras and sharp noises.  But hey, we all have our quirks, don't we..??

******************************************************

Well, I need to get on with the morning.  I have to get to 18K on the word count today, and by the way, I haven't logged in my count for a few days, so don't think I'm going to whip out 10,000 words this afternoon..!!  I only have about 3K to do.  (Yeah, only.)  I'm also talking to Jan, still in LA, at 11:00 this morning, so wish me luck on reaching my word count goal today...we do know how to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment